Flame Oil was established in 1929. At its beginning the company had
only one truck to deliver kerosene fuel. In those days deliveries were
made by hand. Five gallon buckets were brought into customers homes
to fill twenty five gallon reserve drums. The fuel was used to light
up stove heaters generally located in the kitchen. At the time the company
was located on Franklin Street.
During the Second World War, oil was rationed, and the US government
created stamps that were given to families in order to get heating oil
delivered. Without these stamps there was no possibility of being delivered,
the period was called the oil shortage.
Little by little, the heating systems were modernized, and after the
Second World War thru the late fifties, most homes were being equipped
with oil furnaces. Number 2 fuel is the same fuel still in use today,
which means that at the time the heating systems were basically working
the same as nowadays.
In the fifties, Blue Flame Oil was exclusively a fuel oil delivery company.
It was not until the early sixties that Blue Flame began the service
branch of the company, thus creating a full service company. Currently
Blue Flame Oil is owned and operated by Pat Somma. Providing Fuel Oil
and Diesel fuel, heating and air conditioning service, new systems designed
and installed, oil tank removal and installations.